If you are missing one or a few teeth, you may have been looking into replacing those missing teeth with dental implants. Dental implants are one of the most common dental restoration procedures due to their reliability, functionality, and natural appearance. Patients regularly visit an oral surgeon or another dental professional to learn more about dental implants. But that leads us to the point of this article; with so much popularity and demand for this type procedure, there are additional dental practitioners and corporate dental companies who offer dental implant placement services but are not completely qualified to do so. Unfortunately, a lot of these individuals do not have close to the same kind of experience or training that an oral surgeon has.
You need to ask very specific questions of your doctor before you move forward with your dental implant procedure. Please read through the five questions listed below. These questions will help you determine who the right doctor is to fulfill your dental implant needs.
- How many dental implants have you placed in your career? Experience is everything. When you are trying to find the right professional to place your dental implants, you should know that dental practitioners are typically not dental implant specialists. Usually, they do not regularly perform dental implant placement. But oral surgeons do perform dental implant procedures quite often; thus the answer to this question should be high if you are speaking to trained, qualified professional.
- How much training have you received? To be trained and qualified to place dental implants, oral surgeons must complete specific, rigorous training requirements. They also need to gain in-hospital experience during their residency program and complete the licensure to practice. Dental practitioners sometimes gain training during a weekend course. A weekend course or years of training? The choice is pretty obvious!
- What is your success rate placing implants? For your best results, you want to go to a doctor that knows the procedure and has a high success rate. We advise that you choose someone who has at least a 95 percent success rate.
- Why wouldn’t I be a good candidate for dental implants? The only way to know if you are (or are not) a candidate would be to schedule a consultation. When you ask about dental implants, you want someone who asks you to meet with them for a consultation. During that appointment, they should perform a thorough examination, discuss your medical history, and review any other factors that help them formulate a treatment plan that best suits you.
- How long does a dental implant procedure take? The duration of a dental implant procedure varies, but keep in mind that it should take no more than half an hour to an hour.
You deserve to feel confident and comfortable undergoing your dental implant procedure, which is why it is so important to have all the information you need to make the best decision possible. Dentists and other institutions may claim they are trained professionals who can place dental implants; you want to make sure those statements are true and that you are receiving proper treatment. To ensure your oral health, look for someone who can prove they have extensive experience and knowledge of the placement of dental implants. Through selecting a qualified oral surgeon, you get both experience and knowledge!
If you still have questions, or you are ready to come in and meet our skilled team, please call Northern Westchester Oral Surgery and schedule a consultation appointment.